Last Updated on October 7, 2021 by Luis Ferency
Have you ever get a chance to work on steel while doing the job for a remote location? Then you might not need equipment that requires any sort of external power source.
So the welder-generator combos get themselves powered and even welder can use one of the provided energy power to overhead lights, angle grinder, and as a plasma cutter. These power-packed units are especially popular among different people such as auto body repair technicians, farmers, and even DIY enthusiastic. This is due to the flexibility of the usage around any location even you are closer to a power outlet.
It can be quite challenging to get a high-quality model by providing sufficient power and supporting the right processes, for instance, MIG, stick, or top-rated TIG equipment. There are numerous products available in the market and you must consider numerous considerations to keep in mind while buying the best unit for you. You might not know if your equipment is appropriate for you.
So we did little in-depth research by reviewing the specifications of hundreds of products that will help you in finding the best machine match. Moreover, you can find the extensive up-to-date buyer guide and key features of the best welder generator combo in today’s article.
Lincoln Ranger 250
Miller Electric Engine
Lincoln Bulldog 5500
Lincoln Electric Ranger 305G
Miller Trailblazer 325
Top 5 Best Welder Generator Combo Reviews 2022
1. Lincoln Ranger 250 GXT Engine-Driven Welder
- Fully enclosed case
- 11,000 Watts as peal single-phase AC generator power
- Versatile AC and DC welding
- 23 HP Kohler® gasoline engine
- Sturdy reliability
Processes include flux-cored, MIG, Gouging, TIG, and Stick.
This brand model is one of the leading engine equipment within the category. This Lincoln Ranger 250 GXT is termed as one of the versatile available nowadays. This model includes both AC and DC as output. Moreover, you can use this for magnetized aluminum, metal, and thin sheet metals.
Furthermore, the 250 GXT can support all types of processes including MIG wire feed, stick, and TIG. Also, the amperage of this unit is 50A to 250A. Hence you can rest while assuring that it will meet your all requirements while retaining the long-run value.
According to the expertise the 250 GXT can run off gasoline while giving the lowest cost for your running and fuel consumptions relative to their other competitors. Unfortunately, the unit doesn’t contain any type of tube frame, however, due to the enclosed designs the user can have optimal protection.
- The model contains AC and DC output.
- For thick metals, the user can have high amperage
- This model can support all types of processes
- The generator also contains a high continuous wattage up to 10,000 Watts
- Unfortunately, the device does not contain any sort of tube frame.
2. Miller Electric Engine-Driven Welder, Bobcat 250 Series
- Improvised model! The system has a quitter and better sound
- Not Inflated Generator Power as this model is Accu-Rated™
- The model has enhanced reliable design
- You will also have the option for Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)
- Includes reversed generator Airflow
- Improvised models make maintenance quite easy.
The powerful engine-driven Bobcat 250 contains a sturdy design that offers the best attributes in terms of versatility, longevity, and durability. Hence the Kubota D722 19 HP holds three cylinders that can deliver DC welding output and also provide 9,500 watts of continuous AC power for welding the different metals such as magnetized steel or TIG welding aluminum.
Additionally this Bobcat 250 supports several types of welding processes that include MIG welding, TIG, and stick. Typically the capacity of the fuel in this model is 12 gallons. Also according to different feedbacks, the fuel is incredibly efficient.
The unit also has several versions available within this series that include LP, Gas, and EFI. Hence you can use this Bobcat 250 in different severe weather conditions. Choosing this model for performing large-level industrial applications can be a viable option to look at deeply.
- Incredible fuel-efficient and powerful engine
- The model offers both DC and AC output
- Compatibility to different processes is not as issue as it supports almost all the processes
- With on single tank, this model can run up to straight fourteen hours.
- With high amperage settings, you can enjoy high-duty cycles
- The model doesn’t include any sort of basic accessories
- The price tag of this unit is very high
3. Lincoln Bulldog 5500
- Patent-pending (low-lift™ grab bars)
- Rugged tube frame diameter of 32 mm (1-1/4 in.)
- Stick electrode –ac welding with up to 3.2 mm (1/8 in.)
- AC generator power of 5,500 watts surge (with continuous watts of 4,000 W)
The Lincoln Electric 5500 machine is powered by gasoline featuring Kohler CH395 8.9 HP engine as its fuel consumption. Hence the engine has a tendency to produces continuous AC power of 4,000 watts with an amperage ranges between 70A to 140A.
The Bulldog 5500 comes with many benefits. This model is light in weight and has a tube frame design. Therefore it gives the user optimal mobility while performing different tasks.
Moreover, this gasoline engine is quite fuel-efficient that has the capacity to perform different welding works. The tank of this machine is quite big that holds the capacity to fill up 1.9 gallons. Different reviewers always recommend this Bulldog 5500 that involves user-friendliness and durability.
The only drawback of this model is its compatibility support with other welding processes. As it only supports stick welding. Though this machine is ideal for performing DIY steelwork and other general repairs.
- High-quality design with durable components
- Easy to use and configure
- Great value to the money
- Engine provides fuel-efficient
- Portable and lightweight machine
- This welder generator support only stick welding
4. Lincoln Electric Ranger 305G
- 23 HP Kohler® Gasoline Engine
- Multiple welding processes such as stick, TIG, MIG, flux-cored
- Includes efficient digital weld meters
- Superior performance while casting arc
- Peak Single-Phase AC Generator Power to start Motor
The engine-driven model Lincoln Electric Ranger 305G supports multi-processes and includes MIG, TIG, stick, and dual-shield welding. As the unit involves featured technology such as Lincoln’s copper that ensures an accurate and stable arc.
As the engine is powerful enough that can run on multiple processes and provide power equipment for instance lights and grinders at sites. Thus 305G can deliver AC and DC welding output that can enable the user to weld magnetized metals, thin metal sheets along with aluminum through TIG.
Moreover, this equipment will have an intensive amperage that can provide 300A. Hence, one can use this machine during different applications such as industrial and heavy-duty.
Typically the reviewers love the durability and quality provided by each unit. Although it doesn’t provide a tube frame feature so the enclosed design of the machine can provide optimal protection against its elements.
- The gas engine holds high-performance
- Welding output includes both AC and DC
- Multi-welding processes are supported
- Reliable and durable product to rely on
- Recommended and suitable for industrial applications
- This unit doesn’t contain any sort of tube frame
- An expensive product comes with a high price tag.
5. Miller Trailblazer 325
- You can have few trips to refuel the machine
- The model possesses Auto-Speed™ technology
- Enjoy the ultimate money-saving deal while using this unit
- Optional –Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) and Excel™ power
- More portability make the less use of job site and lower truck hustle
- Stronger, sturdy, and cleaner Generator Power
The model Trailblazer 325 includes a Kohler ECH730 23 HP feature as a gasoline engine that involves two cylinders along with 10,500 watts of continuous power output.
The unit has been designed especially for professional applications that can perform well exceptionally while creating a smooth appearance and stability in the arc.
You can also have ample engine speed along with adjustability to provide efficient control over the consumption of fuel and power.
Moreover, the machine has the tendency to support all the processes such as TIG, flux-core, plasma MIG, and CAC-A cutting. Furthermore, the reviews depict that this welder is easy to configure while using it. However, this machine is quite heavier on the other side. Hence it can be mount on the back of your truck.
- The performance of this unit is high
- Engine speed can be adjusted
- This machine support multi-processes
- Through this unit, one can have a stable and smooth arc
- Relatively high price cost
- The machine is quite heavier in weight making it difficult for portability
Buyer’s Guide – Engine Driven Welder & Generator Combo
Buying the best welder generator combo is challenging as you have to take deep consideration within the unit that can meet your unique requirements. Hence, for us the buying considerations one should take an account must include:
- Versatile –versatility in multi-processing and functionality
- Efficient power type I.e. AC, DC or both
- Type of fuel and engine you might need
- Noise levels produced by the model you are going to buy
- Style/design/weight of the generator
These are the few highlighted features we have pointed out that can be marked as a top-most priority while you are on a new purchase. However, below we have talked about the brief sneak-peak of these features so that you can easily perform your filtering and sorting.
- Fuel Consumption
Since the engine-driven power producers also use any of the ones among three types of fuels. Typically these three fuels include gasoline, liquid propane (LPG), and diesel.
Hence the smaller and portable units can run on gasoline fuel. As gasoline is more affordable than other types of fuel i.e. LPG or diesel. Moreover, gasoline also has the tendency to consume low fuel and can be stared easily even during extremely cold weather states.
- Weight and Design
As a rule, the more powerful unit is relatively heavier and bigger. Hence this is due to the resulting components added to your machine to enhance the welding power. Thus the design of the unit can significantly affect the size, weight, and portability.
Furthermore, when it comes to design you will encounter two types of designs. The first one is termed an ad open frame or tube frame and the second one is called an enclosed casing.
As portability is termed to be an essential buying consideration for those who perform heavyweights and carry out welding jobs at different locations. So if you have to haul a powerful heavy-duty unit around then you must skip this feature and mount back your machine to a workplace.
- Price Point
The price tag is one of the most critical considerations while you are on shopping for your machine. Though, it shouldn’t be the only considerations you should focus on. As it might directly affect the other sub-categories such as functionality and quality.
- Power Output
When you are talking about the power output your machine requires depends upon the processes you are intended to run is very important. Since, the welding processes include MIG, TIG, and stick wire feed welding. Some multi-process welding machines can also run on multiple operations along with plasma cutters.
- Duty Cycle
If your machine is supporting multiple processes then the duty cycle for each process will remain the same.
The commonest accessories for any welder-generator include few basic things such as extension cable to perform remote control operations, trailing or carting heavy units, hose assembly units for LPG models, and cylindrical tank racks. Also, it includes a portable wire feeder, connector kit for MIG wire feed, and a welding gun as a part of their basic accessory kit.
For stick welding accessories like electrode hoses and clamps are used to enhance the working radius. Hence if you have a TIG function then you should consider such accessories that include tungsten electrodes and TIG torch as well as nozzles and collets.
- Power Type
Typically the power type used in a generator or any other machine is AC and DC. Both power types are referred to as the polarity of the electric current machines produce that runs through the electrode.
- Noise Levels
Since the engine-driven units are quite louder make more noise than the electric ones. So if you are on to working on a remote setting mode or a farm then there is no solution to compromising on power just to keep the noise level of the machine below 100dB. Hence, these noises can be a significant consideration if you live in the apartment or you are in work from home mode.
Before hitting your final purchase to the welder, make sure to ensure the warranty of the product and engine. Mostly best welder generator combo comes with at least a two to three-year warranty. Also, the manufacturers can provide a warranty for the individual component. So you can often get the chance to find a separate warranty of the component such as battery or engine.
Small business owners preferably construction industry, DIY enthusiasts, or any hobbyist you might need a high-quality unit that has the capacity to produce neat portable, and durable arc.
So if you are on to buying a welder that can perform general repair, regular maintenance work, then you might need something more advance than a stick welder. Hence buying something which includes multi-processes that perform great work with high quality is always a yeas option. Hence there is no doubt to try at high-end units such as Lincoln Bulldog 550 that includes cutting-edge features and is more than sufficient for your small business or daily home task.
So when it comes to hitting delicate metals such as aluminum or metals that have the tendency to magnetize then you should look for a product that has an AC as welding output and also support TIG.
Typically for heavy-duty applications, commercial and industrial purposes, we always recommend making a purchase between the Miller Trailblazer 325 or Lincoln Electric Ranger 305G. These two high-class advanced machines are sufficient enough to provide all support and power for all sorts of processes.
Regardless of the high price you pay, these models tend to provide durable and fuel-efficient systems. This way you surely have low running costs over the long run.
Andrea Sollie from New Orleans LA. He is always an energetic and precise welder with experience of 25+years. During his welding journey, he used a variety of techniques. Hence, working in a fast-paced construction environment with efficiency proves his passion for welding.