Nowadays, the world has been transformed into a new era of digitalization. Hence, it makes people challenging to avoid the notion of using apps. Generally, the app is used as the short term for applications. So, what is an app or application? Typically, the apps are bite-sized downloadable software program that enables the users to install them into your devices such as tablets, or mobile phones through the internet. You may encounter with numerous apps that will allow you to perform conceivable activities. Based on the user’s choice and preferences, one can download any app, for instance, you can do playing games, check balance to your financial statements, or even can count on calories –all on the go, etc.
Believe us for all the welders, and you might find a variety of reasonably significant welding apps. These apps can easily be downloadable for both Android and Apple users. Moreover, these mobile welding apps help the new welders identify the welding parameters, enabling them to calculate each welding process’s costs. We can also take insights into the error codes, cut charts, get into the interpretation of radiographs, etc. Interestingly, the American Welding Online has launched the app that helps people prepare for the welding apps such as Certified Welding Inspector Examination.
The editors of the Welding Journal have dug into in-depth research into the world of welding apps. Hence, they end up with the astonishing tips for the welders to look into it. Moreover, after their intensive research, they have introduced the best welding apps for all the welders from beginners to experts. Initially, they mentioned this in their Welding Journal Issue in 2013, providing free access for the AWS membership.
Tips For Beginners For Using Welding Apps
- Many types of welding apps are intuitive. Hence, they do not require any special instructions for the users to follow while installing them. Usually, such apps initiate the installation process by asking a few questions that enable the app to determine the user’s particular situation.
- Afterward, the app then scrolls down to the next page with the answer and such recommendations settings based on your preferences. Such setting parameters include data charts, equipment settings, tables, and required filler metals, etc.
- There are various equipment and consumable manufacturers that will offer a variety of apps. Each app involves different features. Hence you can compare the numerous features and capabilities of the provided apps and install them according to your interest and requirements.
- The app store has multiple apps that combine categories such as paid, free, and both. Hence, a user can download the apps freely. Some apps that are categorized as free mostly contain a “Lite” version and essential functions for the users to begin their welding venture. Moreover, these free packages provide an introductory session with basic features. Sometimes, the users are more satisfied with the “Lite” version as it fulfills all requirements. However, if the user shows more interest or wants to improve the level from beginner to professional and unlock more incredible features, then switch to purchase. The purchase enables the full version of the app.
- Most of the apps provided by the developers offer the opportunity to go with a variety of options. These experiments hold different types of metals, their processes, and the thickness of materials. Hence, these experiments enable the beginners to learn, explore new pieces of stuff, and get the feel of how things will work without being messy with real-time jobs.
- To download the app, all you have to do is perform a search by typing down the category you are interested in, such as “welding” on Google or Apple stores through your smart device. You will find incredible options available against your research. Explore them in sequence and download them according to your requirements and preferences.
- Moreover, different welding equipment manufacturer’s website also provides its official apps to download them.
- Always check for new apps as by the time you will find more captivating and latest apps. Moreover, keep your apps updated.
Best Welding Apps For Welders
To all the welding professionals who either want to update with new information or are interested in reaching the digital world. Also, it enables you to equip with technology and welding to perform their daily jobs. Moreover, the technology always provides insights into doing a welding job smartly.
For all the welders that are having smart mobiles must always turn themselves into digital geeks. One should always look into such a great option. These apps will give you another great reason to stick to your phone for more time or can enable you to upgrade your smart devices. Moreover, we have enlisted our top five apps that include numerous features, so take a look at our best suggestions and pick that suits best for you.
Our top five best welding apps include:
1. Welding Technology:
The top of our list is “Welding Technology.” This app Advance Welding Technology is beneficial for engineering students and all the professionals who hold up to 200 specific welding topics. The aim of developing this app is to provide the depth knowledge and quality of education about the welding technology for all the students of mechanical engineers.
- This app is designed for mechanical engineers to cover all the necessary yet important topics about welding. This app provides a welding course in the format of essential notes, news, blog, and video tutorials. One can download this app as the reference material and e-book for learning more in-depth knowledge.
- This app enables users to study welding in terms of study and provide welding information anywhere and anywhere. This app has many features that will allow the users to learn, set reminders, edit the study material, track your learning, bookmark the favorite topics, and share it with others.
Essential topics about this welding app include:
- Gas welding,
- What is welding
- Introduction of welding,
- Gas metal arc welding,
- Gas tungsten arc welding,
- Fusion welding,
- Spot welding
- Rc welding,
- TIG welding,
- MIG welding,
- Arc welding power sources,
- The MSAW process,
- Welding symbols
Highlighted Topics in this app includes:
- Introduction of welding
- Welding with pressure
- Introduction to advanced process development trends
- Areas for development of welding processes
- Mathematical formulations in heat flow in fusion welding
- Thermophysical properties of selected engineering materials
- Gas tungsten arc welding
- Gas metal arc welding
- Introduction to the transfer of heat and mass to the base metal in gas-metal arc welding
- Procedure development transfer of heat and mass to the base metal in gas-metal arc welding
- Electrode regions and arc column in GTAW
- Power source selection
- Conventional welding processes
- Fusion welding
- Safety and environmental factors
- Introduction to energy sources used for fusion welding
- Energy-source intensity
- Introduction to heat flow in fusion welding
- Parametric effects of heat flow in fusion welding
- Introduction to fluid flow phenomenon during welding
- Deep-penetration electron beam and laser welds
- Submerged arc welding
- Heat transfer in gas-metal arc welding
- Introduction to arc physics of gas-tungsten arc welding
- Arc welding power sources
- Resistance welding power sources
- Introduction to weld solidification
- Development of weld microstructures
- Guidelines for flux selection
- Joint design
- Characteristics of the components of a shielding gas blend
- Basic power source requirements
- Diffusion bonding process
- Output level, sequence and function control
- Submerged arc welding consumables
- Introduction to the fundamentals of friction welding
- Pulsed power supplies
- Inertia-drive welding
- Direct drive welding
Interestingly, in this app, each part of the topic has been expressed through equations, diagrams, the graphical representation for enhanced understanding, and quick learning.
Play Store: Welding Technology App
iStore: Welding Technolgy App
2. Smart Welding Solution
Next to our app list is the Smart Welding solution.
- Provide an instant solution for numerous joint configuration/designs
- Offer a weld deposit weight calculation (more specifically steel weight calculation as by default)
- Calculate volume calculation
- Can perform surface opening calculations
- Give an instant comparison of weld deposition, cross-section area, volume, and surface opening regarding different angles.
- Offer weld deposition weight calculation for different materials as well as feasibility change for respective material density.
- Designed in such a tremendous way that it can instantly calculate the weight of almost all the welding joint configuration
- If there is a chance of missing any joint configuration not covered into the app, the user can divide the small joint configurations, i.e., daughter groove.
- The welder can even have the appropriate option to get adequate information into desired results. For an instant, the surface opening of one daughter groove shall root gap the other daughter groove. And welding reinforcement should not consider if daughter groove has covered with different daughter groove and make a grooving drawing that carefully defines welding terms for each daughter grooves.
- This app provides the pdf conversion feature to all the calculated values. Hence one can quickly transfer the readings.
- Grooves, ESSC, fillets, and built up or hard facing are used as joint configuration on this app. All the grooves designs such as Groove Joint configuration- single and Double bevel, straight face, single and Double V, Single and Double J, Single and Double U, tube to tube sheet joint, (TTJ), square joints ( by the change of grove angle 0 degree ), etc. are covered in this app.
- Ensuring the input for individual grooves and results evaluated are recorded and can subsequently use for further calculations.
- The calculation in this app has performed in such a way that it will result in a higher side form the previous estimates.
The key feature of Smart Welding Solution app includes:
- Material & Metallurgical Solution
- Perform Mill Activities/Steel Plant (Material’s & its Inspection Procurement Audit, Qualification, Quality Assurance & Control (QA &QC))
- Global Technical Support
- Project-Based Works (Short or Long term)
- Raw Material & Product Inspection
- Material Testing
- Microstructure Evaluation
- Welding Consumable
- Training on Welding/Metallurgy/ NDT
- Complete Welding Solution
- Pipe Mill activities (Pipe Manufacturing Audit, Qualification, Inspection, Welding Process Improvement, QA and QC, Root Cause Analysis, and CAPA)
- Vendor Identification and Development
- Business Development
- Process and Product Development
- Failure Investigation, Analysis (Welding, Material, and Testing)
- Steel Making, Rolling, Casting, Forging, Heat Treatment, Welding, and Extrusion.
- Welding Fabrication and Manufacturing
Play Store: Smart Welding Solution App
3. Piping Fabrication and Welding
The next to our list of best welding apps collection is the “Piping Fabrication and Welding app.” This app is solely designed for piping fabrication and welding in terms of learning tools, performing welding calculators, and do Checklists, etc.
The critical feature of Piping Fabrication and Welding app includes:
- Fabrication Calculations:
- Elbow center
- Custom degree elbow cutting
- Hydrotest water volume
- Rolling offset
- Fitters’ calculator along with trigonometric functions
- It directly provides input dimensions for standard piping fittings.
- Provide piping fitting dimensions.
- As per the ASME B31.3 recommendation, it provides a welding preheat temperature chart.
- Electrode Selection table.
- Gives welding-related checklists that include:
- Inspection of Weld
- Perform application, installation, and operation of Cutting Equipment and Arc Welding.
- Offer the Welding safety checklist.
- Generate Acetylene
- Installation and operation of resistance welding equipment
- Fire protection and prevention
- Protection of personnel.
- Provides standards lists that include:
- ASME B31 Codes.
- ASME Dimensional.
- MSS Dimensional Standards.
- ASTM Materials for pipes, BW Fittings, Forgings, Castings, and Plates
- Offer Diagrams for:
- Piping Symbols.
- Welding Symbols
- Isometric Symbols
- Enable online Articles/blogs
- Offer access to other software Shortcuts that includes:
- Microsoft Word, Excel
- Piping Quizzes related to welding
- QA for welding interviews
- Welding related video tutorial
- Task Manager
Play Store: Piping Fabrication and Welding App
4. SET & GO PRO
The fourth to our top app chart is the Set and Go pro app. The RITMO SP has developed this app. A for their welders. This app has calculated the butt welding parameters in a most adequate, fast, and useful manner. Hence, with ease of go with the flow, guided steps enable the users to select the welding machine, set up the characteristics of the pipes, and choose the welding standards. This app can immediately tell the welder on how to weld.
After the completion of the entire cycle, then “step by step –assisted and guided.” Also, during welding, it provides functional and countdown timer for the welders.
The critical feature for Set and Go app includes:
- Available in multiple languages such as English, Italian, Polish, Spanish, French, and Romanian
- Enable the welder to choose welding machine from the list of Ritmo butt fusion hydraulic machines or free insertion of cylinders thrust section
- Can choose the welding standard of choice from UNI 10520 SINGLE / DUAL ASTM F2620-13, ISO 21307 SLP / DLP / SH, DVS 2207-1, DVS 2207-11, NS 416-2, ES. 0207 WIS 4-32-08 and GN-DG or can go for free interface pressure entry (MPa, bar, psi).
- Pick any tube diameters from the provided list or select free insertion (mm, in, IPS, DIPS).
- Choice of SDR or free can select insertion thickness (mm, in)
- Availability of choose Material such as PE, PE80, PE100, PEHD, PP
- When required, it can perform the insertion of drag pressure (bar, psi), room temperature (°C, °F) in the standards.
- Offer welding parameters presentation (°C / bar or °F / psi).
- Design welding parameter tables in pdf format
- Provide two functions
- LIGHT FUNCTION:
- Calculate the welding parameter
- Timer functions for numerous phases of welding cycles
- Provide acoustic signals in the last 10 seconds before the timer stopped in each phase.
- PRO FUNCTION
- Enabled GPS and smart scanner user can collect data, store information and transfer through a project name
- Record the exact location of the welded pipe, construction site
- Can scan the barcode of fitted pipes, operator badge and take images before and after complete installation
- At the end of each cycle, the app provides a detail report enabling the technical data that includes infographics and parameters to compare with geo-location map and international standards of welding
- One-touch welding report share in pdf file format through email and Whatsapp. Also can save into your smart device or cloud archives.
- High quality of standard and safety with data sec
Play Store: SET & GO PRO App
5. Fronius WELDCONNECT
The last but not the least in our today’s best mobile welding app list is “WeldConnect by Fronius.” This app has recently developed that provides the welders to go through options for functional usage and interaction with the generation of Fronius systems through wireless technology that supports many different languages.
- These apps include intelligent wizards for MAG/MIG, as well as TIG. Wizard gives a quick guide and provide a smooth and right output parameters for solving your welding issues.
- With the combination of JobManager, the user can easily design, manage, and transfer the welding set values with less time through your mobile phones.
- You can also use this app as a key to lock and unlock the welding system (without using NFC key card)
- With ease, you can easily view all the information regarding your welding system by using this app.
- Traceability of component data can be used as an input or can scan through the app. This way, the user can get the component-oriented detailed report about the welding data.
- One can integrate this app with the WeldCube premium to unlock more options and features such as tracing actual data. The documentation of the data at the component level –even at the time of manual welding
How to perform a function on the wizard:
The wizard supports MIG/MAG and TIC welding methods. Hence the intuitive of the wizard is quite simple as it will guide you through the complete process, i.e., initiating with the entering all types of output information. The user will get the set of basic welding parameters, which then further transferred into the welding system wirelessly or through Bluetooth. Doing this activity will eventually save you time while you are setting the parameters of welding.
After the user registered to generate a particular solution, the information will be stored in the cloud into a structured format as a project. Hence this enables you to access all the related data at any time, anywhere on any smart device. The searching and sorting function provided by the app wizard allows the user to make the different handling solutions quite easier. This app also offers offline functionality.
What functions does the JobManager do?
Typically in this app, a user can use the JobManager to load all the jobs or sets of targeted parameters from a welding system connected to your smart device. Afterward, the welder can edit or save the job. Hence, JobManager enables the welders with a fantastic option of transferring a very welding job or set of targeted parameters to save on their smart devices wirelessly into their welding systems that are allocated.
Additional Features in WeldConnect app’s Device information Area:
- In this app, the area “Device Information” provides information on all the primary configuration data, installed packages, components, and functional packages in a comprehensive way.
- From this point to onward, you may also get access to SmartManger or system site. This way, you can connect to the welding system quickly and easily.
- The function that allows authorized access and users to log in to the system can also be controlled in Device Information. This keyless feature access the system without using NFC cards
How can welders record components easily and quickly?
In the WeldConnect app, the user directly logs in and can quickly scan or click through the component item or serial number and seam number. Afterward can wirelessly transfer such information into the welding system.
This way, you can get the assuredly of consistently assigning the recoding of the welding data against the same component. Moreover, in combination with WeldCube Premium, the user will also get a vast range of different options that include data visualization, analysis, and statistics.
Play Store: Fronius WELDCONNECT App
Bonus part –Welding Parameters Setup Guide:
We have bought ESAB Welding and the cutting product with a fantastic app. This app enables the users to help in identifying the critical parameters for the job. Moreover, this app can provide you to enter into the fillers and weld. Also, this application can determine you to explore more about welding machine settings.
1. What type of welding is most in demand?
When you ask us which welding type is most demanding, we will always vote for Metal Inert Gas (MIG or GMAW). Hence, MIG often used while welding high production operations. However, this is our reason behind selecting MIG:
Popular applications of MIG welding:
- Used by most types of sheet metal welding
- Home improvement industry and automotive industry
- Fabrication of steel structures and pressure vessels
Advantages of MIG welding:
- Perform minor weld splatter
- Can be semi-automatic or fully
- Produces high-quality welds
- Use to join dissimilar metals.
- Possesses good weld speed
2. What are the top welding brands popular globally?
Globally these are the top eight welding brands that provide quality and fulfill all the international welding standards.
- Lincoln Electric
- Miller Electric
3. How does a beginner welder start the welding venture?
If you are a beginner and planning to initiate the welding venture, then these are the steps you must know. All you have to do is follow the steps and begin the venture:
- Step 1: Select the WeldingMethod you preferred
- Step 2: Choose your Welder
- Step 3: Get yourself accessories with essential Welding
- Step 4: Don’t forget to have a good quality WeldingHelmet
- Step 5: Prepare your Weld
- Step 6: Start to prepare yourself.
Read Also: How to Become a Welder
4. What are the three major types of welding?
The welding is divided into three most common types that can be termed as:
- GMAW (Gas, Metal Arc Welding) or MIG (Metal, Inert Gas)
- TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding.
Read Also: Types Of Welding In Detail
5. Why should welder use a mobile app?
The mobile welding apps help the new welders and professionals
- To identify the parameters of welding,
- Will enable them to calculate the costs of each welding,
- Can visualize dangerous welding techniques by virtually experiencing
- Take depth insights into the error codes, cut charts,
- Get into the interpretation of radiographs, etc.